Sunday, August 23, 2015

Tormented (2009)

Couldn't find anything much on TV this weekend, so I decided to go with Tormented, a British take on teen slash-em-ups that deals with the tricky topics of bullying and teen suicide with about as much sensitivity as you'd expect. The IMDB didn't seem to like it much, but I was on the fence - there seemed to be enough comedic potential there to make it worth a look.

I won't lie; slasher movies aren't really my thing, and neither was this one. There was just that bit too much gore for my taste, just that bit too liberally sprayed. Still, after I'd finished watching and I looked back at my notepad, I hadn't actually written anything, which tends to be a pretty reliable index of how much a movie entertains me.

The key to this one, I think, lies in some savvy casting, that borrows liberally from Channel 4's acclaimed teen drama Skins. Essentially, what we have here is a bunch of old hands in young bodies, capable of producing decent performances no matter how rubbish the set-up or the script. The end result, therefore, is slick, fast-paced, gross and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. If I had to quibble at all, I'd point out that Alex Pettyfer and Tuppence Middleton are far too posh to attend your local comprehensive, but that's really just a minor detail.

Definitely recommended for genre fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment