Friday, August 7, 2015

Masters of the Universe (1987)

I was listening to a podcast the other day and heard a snippet from the theme tune to the old He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series. I watched it as a kid, although I was never that big a fan - it was too predictable, too preachy and far too boy-oriented even for my single-digit self. Left to my own devices, I doubt I'd have been pestering my parents to take me to the 1987 movie incarnation, but I landed up watching it at the cinema on an outing with a friend. I remember it as having been passably entertaining - not much stuck with me, to be honest, other than one of the props, which was a weird sort of combination of a keytar and an accordion with a bunch of twirly tuning forks stuck on the end. In any case, back in the here and now, it seemed like exactly the sort of thing I should be re-watching and then writing about.

Can't win 'em all, I guess.

It's not that there's anything to particularly hate about this one. It isn't especially offensive - in fact, for an action movie it's actually pretty damned progressive, with a whole bunch of proactive female characters. Sure, they're stereotypes, but arguably less so than most of the guys.

I think what it all boils down to in the end is that I wasn't in the mood for a 100-minute long, badly-choreographed, PG:13-rated fight sequence. It was big, it was loud, it was unengaging and the ending was incomprehensible.

I could write more, but I'd only be wasting everyone's time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment